Relocating To South Florida
If you are looking to move to the ZMA vARTCC, welcome aboard! We look forward to working with you to have you become a valued member of our team. Our Training Division features an amazing group of Instructional Staff Members who dedicate their time to help those who are new to our region become a successful controller here at ZMA. Our goal is to help everyone have the best experience possible while participating. For more details on the process, be sure to review the Trainee Welcome Letter and Training Division FAQ.
- In order to transfer into our community, you must first meet the eligibility requirements. If a current member of VATUSA, login to the division website and select “My VATUSA” and “Profile” to determine if you are eligible. Division requirements can be found here and outline Visiting Controller requirements. For all other divisions or regions, review the VATSIM Transfer & Visiting Controller Policy. Applications will be denied if they do not meet these requirements.
- Transfer controllers requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Hold current rating (S1, S2, etc.) for 90 days or longer. (VATSIM TSFR 1.4)
- At least 50 hours of ATC service under current rating. (VATSIM TSFR 1.3)
- Not transferred in the last 90 days. (VATSIM TSFR 1.4;VATNA VIS-TSFR 2.8;VATUSA TSFR 6.1.5)
- Have not been removed from ZMA for inactivity in the past 90 days.(VATUSA TSFR 6.1.5;ZMA SOP 1.3.1)
- Next, please wait! Members of ZMA’s Administrative Team will need to verify eligibility status. If you have not heard back within three days (72 hours), send an e-mail to the ATM, DATM, TA & DTA.
- If our team reaches out to you via e-mail for clarification on your controller record, please take advantage of the opportunity. Failure to respond within a reasonable length of time will lead to denial of the request.
- Next, you will need to successfully complete the Miami Basic/SOP Exam. This open book exam must be passed with a score of 80% or above to qualify to move forward. The content is designed to ensure you have the fundamental knowledge necessary to start moving forward down the path of controller at ZMA. (VATSIM TSFR 1.7;ZMA SOP 1.3.7)
- Once the exam has been passed, controllers requesting visitor status or to transfer will be required to complete a Performance Verification (PV). Specific to their current VATSIM rating (S1=Ground, S2=Tower, etc.), this practical review is designed to confirm ability. (VATSIM TSFR 1.7;VATSIM TSFR 1.8)
- All PVs are issued at the controller’s current rating level (S1, S2, S3, etc.). No exceptions to this policy can be made. If someone is not comfortable with being able to pass a PV at their rating, please consider remedial training at your home ARTCC prior to moving forward. (VATSIM TSFR 1.7)
- As soon as you complete your Miami Basic/SOP Exam, contact the Deputy Training Administrator at email@example.com to schedule your PV.
- It is your responsibility to make time available to complete the PV and have this item scheduled. Unless due to scheduling logistical issues as determined by ZMA, failure to complete this process within ten (10) to thirteen (13) calendar days of your original transfer request will result in denial. (VATUSA TSFR 6.1.5)
- Finally, once you receive notification from VATUSA your transfer has been accepted, join the ZMA MACAS system. Since this is required to be registered on the ARTCC roster, this must be completed within three (3) days of the transfer being accepted. Failure to complete this step will result in removal from the ZMA roster.
- Some transfers may be accepted on probation. Restrictions will be imposed until such time the student can show full competency equal to their current rating. Should the controller fail to accept this probationary status, or successfully show mastery within ninety (90) days, the transfer will be voided. (VATSIM TSFR 1.9)
- Controllers who pass their PV will be placed in the ZMA vARTCC roster accordingly.
- All ZMA Controllers must complete a minimum of three (3) hours of active controlling each calendar month. Failure to meet this requirement will result in removal due to inactivity. (ZMA SOP 1.3.1)
Have questions about this process? Did we miss something that might be unique to your situation? Contact our Administrative Team by using the Contact Form.
Disclaimer: The information contained on all pages of this website is to be used for flight simulation purposes only on the VATSIM network. It is not intended nor should it be used for real world navigation. This site is not affiliated with the FAA, the actual Miami Center or any governing aviation body. All content contained herein is approved only for use on the VATSIM network.