Becoming A Visiting Controller At vZMA
- Holding current rating for 90 days or longer. (VATSIM TSFR 1.4 | VATSIM VIS 2.1)
- Having at least 50 hours of ATC service under current rating. (VATSIM TSFR 1.3 | VATSIM VIS 2.1)
- No transfers in the last 90 days. (VATSIM TSFR 1.4 | VATSIM VIS 2.1 | VATNA VIS-TSFR 2.8 | VATUSA TSFR 6.1.10)
- Control 50.1% or more each month at home ARTCC. (VATSIM VIS 2.2 | VATUSA VIS 6.2.5)
- Not a member of the vZMA ARTCC in the last 90 days. (VATNA VIS-TSFR 2.8)
- Have not been removed from vZMA for inactivity in the past 90 days. (VATUSA VIS 6.2.4 | vZMA SOP 1.3.1)
Third, please wait! Members of vZMA’s Senior Leadership will need to verify your eligibility.
If our team reaches out to you via e-mail for clarification on your controller record, please take advantage of the opportunity. Failure to respond within a reasonable length of time will lead to denial of the request.
Fourth, after your ability to be a visitor within our community has been confirmed, you will need to successfully complete the Miami Basic/SOP Exam. A score of 80% or above is required to pass this assessment. The content is designed to ensure you have the fundamental knowledge necessary to start moving forward down the path of controller at vZMA. (VATSIM TSFR 1.7 | VATSIM TSFR 1.8 | VATSIM VIS 2.1 | VATUSA VIS 6.2.3 )
You have seven (7) calendar days to complete the exam once assigned.
Only attempt once you are prepared! It does not cover the same material as the VATUSA Basic/S1 Exam!
Visiting Controllers holding a rating of Instructor (I1)(I3) in their home ARTCC/FIR are not authorized to use such a rating when logged onto a vZMA position and should use the rank obtained prior to the Instructor promotion when online. (VATSIM VIS 2.1.2)
Exceptions will be made on a case by case basis under the discretion of the ATM and the TA.